Tuesday, May 18, 2010

have you ever been shaken?...Ode to Breadloaf.

Ode - a poem written to a person or thing...only this isn't a poem...

So, I was invited to a young writers conference in New England. I was sitting in the airport and I turned to see a girl of 16 looking lost and confused. She was here for the same reason. I approached and started conversation. Friends immediately. Then, another girl with a huge pillow and blanket walked past with the same look on her face. We approached her. Friends instantly. We ate potato skins...We talked...We walked...We waited for the others to arrive. 4 New Yorkers got off a plane. 1 of which we didn't talk to. The other 2 boys and girl were friendly and sweet. We learned lots about each other. We talked the whole drive to the campus. Jokes where made..."Can't I like...exist"...(insider)...Memories were burned into us. It was a great 4 hours....a LONG great 4 hours. We arrived at the campus and we were terribly late. We settled in our rooms and later met our roommates. Mine was incredible! We hit it off immediately. I met some really gorgeous boys. Then there was ONE other black boy and i thought this loud boy would not be friends with me. I was wrong. An hour with him and we were friends. I met another boy i thought wouldn't be that good of friends with...He shall be called Mr. Sideburns on this blog...I ended up dancing with him on multiple occasions. We exchanged poetry and stories and laughs and memories. We were all writers and we were all REALLY good at what we did. We talked every night for hours...Physics, reality, history, politics....We did it all...not sex though. We started a family. We were the best. We wrote about each other...sung with one another...On the last day of the conference we woke up at 6 and sung songs and loved each other in the glow of the morning. We danced the night before and the night before. I had a crush. Relationships were formed. Gays danced....it was great.

So here's what...Don't judge books by their covers. (writing reference..lol) Everyone i met was unique and great. If i had shut myself away from everyone...It would have been so incredible. I fell in love on this trip with more than i dozen people. I started a new family. I wrote some incredible stuff. I was shaken to my core with all of these people. I cried like a baby once. None of this would have happened had i not smiled and showed myself with pride....I miss them now. And i know they miss me. So this is for you all...You all made my life so much better. I have even more people to turn to. This is my Ode to breadloaf...I love you all.
beGolden and know that i love you.
Jahmal

1 comment:

  1. I made an account just so I could tell you how much I miss you and how amazing you are [=

    ReplyDelete