Monday, May 10, 2010

to be me....

birthright - A right, possession, or privilege that is one's due by birth.

Recently i watched a short film about a boy that killed himself because he didn't feel as though he could be himself. He was a gay child and he new that it would be hard just being himself opening. So he drowned himself. Two birthrights were addressed in this short film. The right to live and be your own person and the right to die...It's wrong that in pursuit of one right, the boy chose to observe a more extreme one. It's hard for some people to simply get out of bed every morning. I, personally, know how difficult it is just to walk downtown. I fear what people could do to me because of my self acceptance. I don't like churches anymore. I know that I'm not the only one. At the same time, i never had a closet to hide in. When i realized it myself and accepted and loved myself everyone knew. I got all types of shit for it. Physical and verbal abuse in school outside...same old story..."Gay boy is harassed by peers shortly after 'coming out'..." Only I wasn't the one who killed myself and I pride myself on my strength. I wish more people were more open....Here's the point.

It's hard enough to be different in this country...this world these days. People need support. For all those who don't know...For every different person, there's someone just like you somewhere. If more people were open about it, no one would feel alone. We'd have more people to lean on. No one would ever feel completely secluded. Everyone knows how miserably i want some gay friends!! (pay me no mind...) Know that there is always someone who loves you. There is always someone who would miss you if you disappeared. Some will always need you in their lives. You keep that in mind and so will I.
beGolden and stand out
Jahmal

No comments:

Post a Comment