Friday, March 12, 2010

The education talk....Do we really need to know this?

Relevance - practical and especially social applicability

Well...I go to a school...At school, we learn things. We learn how to find x. We learn about Edison's life. We learn about Twain's writing style. We learn how to put a condom in/on. We learn LOTS of things. Most of the things we learn....might not be all that relevant. Sometimes we learn things that we wont need in the future. The fact that i sit in a geometry classroom for 45 minutes a day learning how theorems and equations is nauseating. People teach us the most unnecessary things in these buildings. I don't give a damn about the mating seasons of anacondas. Sure....its fun to know....but why the fuck do i need to know this? So now...I'm forced to "learn" these dumb things. By learn, i mean remember and regurgitate at the end of the year. We don't retain must of the things that we learn in high school. We simply pour it all out on out tests when we receive them. This is FAR more stain than i need. I really don't appreciate having to fill my brain with things i wont need. It makes me sick. It makes me tired. But change is far from coming....unless we say something.

A lot of the people that read my words are youth. There is something terribly wrong with western education. Who does it affect the most? It affects us. I don't appreciate it. A lot of people don't appreciate it. I want to learn things that will help me in the future. I want to learn Patience and respect. I want to be taught tolerance and honour. I want to be taught more about my craft. I go to an arts school...therefore I'm a little blessed. Still...there is something wrong and nothing will change unless the discussion starts. Start speaking...
beGolden
Jahmal

No comments:

Post a Comment