Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Diamonds and water...worth and where you stand.

necessity - an imperative requirement or need for something...

I wasn't thrilled about taking Advanced Placement Economics. I really wasn't...I feared that I would end up hating America more than i already do in a second. It was miserable at first, the thought of amercing myself, for 40 minutes a day, in economics and the study of how scarcity affects people. It was gag worthy...But then i opened the book and i something strange happened. I didn't gag. The book was redundant at certain points but it was interesting. It applied to everything and after reading, i started applying economic theory to everything. Why do people in low economic conditions name their children like this? How can cheating be determined using economics? The book was brilliant and enlightening. I started to actually be excited for going into my AP Eco course! I started the class and i found myself engaging in conversation. I was already discussing and thinking aloud and i continued to absorb. I learned something interesting that struck me to the point of Blog-Post-Gasm. Water is more important than diamonds but diamonds cost more. I jumped out of my seat quite literally actually. What the hell!? People kill each other over diamonds but water is more important and its less expensive. It's worth more in more ways than one. Diamonds are just precious object that people obsess over...Here's the point.

When Christmas comes, for those who celebrate it, the new ipod is not the point. The point is celebrating the birth of a magical Jew. But still, parents leave early from work to get the new cell, shoes, computer...Or else children bitch out and slam doors. Its nauseating! Our values are warped sometimes. We value NEW shoes over any shoes at all. We value the movies over dinner with family. The point is this - The material obsession is the root of your unhappiness. Its nice to have pretty things...I LOVE PRETTY THINGS. But i also love sunsets. I also love people enough to drop the remote to go and see them. I wouldn't cry if my computer broke. Some things are more important. Some things are more necessary. Get your values straight and you'll live a better life. I'd choose water over diamonds. Would you?
BeGolden and honest,
Jahmal

3 comments:

  1. boy you are just wise beyond your years. I love this post. It truly is amazing how certain things are valued above others in american society, like a plastic body that looks appealing, than a healthier one without all the unnatural curves. This post has made me think of changing my outlook on my Advanced Engineering class this year.thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sistah! I'm glad that i inspire you!! Stay beautiful and stay you! <3

    ReplyDelete