Tuesday, September 28, 2010

...I'd rather have him happy. Dear mother.

Motherhood - the kinship relationship between an offspring and the mother.

I used to be the most hyper, excited, happy, touchy-feely, HYPER kid ever. Lots of people loved me for it. I was known by most as the one that wouldn't sit down to save his life. I enjoyed being bubbly most days. There's a thing about me though...I used to be either ecstatic or depressed. If something would get in the way of my happiness abruptly, I didn't know how to handle it. Some of my teacher couldn't my hyper ways...One day, a teacher sat next to my mother I complained about the way I wasn't calm all the time. Mind you, I also went through a long time of depression after being told that I was too hyper and too loud and I talked too much and different and...It was crippling. My mother knew this of course...She knew how fun I was and how depression was for me. So she said...I'd rather have him happy than depressed. And that was that....Dear Mother,

I understand how I used be very different. My emotions were often unstable. I was either HAPPY/EXCITED/HYPER or depressed/sad/angry/upset. My mother would get frustrated with it too, but she knew how crucial it was for me to be happy. I'm fortunate to have a creative, educated, hard working, accepting mother. People everywhere, my mother is the greatest. I'm glad I have her and I'm glad I have her and I'm glad she's there for me. I can only hope that you have someone like that in your life. Everyone's different...Everyone's weird...There will always be someone who loves you even with your faults.
beGolden and happy
Jahmal

2 comments:

  1. Awwww...thank you for writing this, Jahmal. You are so beyond your years, dear son. I still feel the same way...I'd rather have you happy than quiet, calm, conformed, straight, gay, behaved, punctual..., In short, anything but happy. I love you!!!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jahmal, thank you for sharing from a young person's perspective ~ it educates us parents. I'm also a mother of a hyper and happy child. Everyday she wakes up happy and talkative. Some people judge. But that's their issue. Her happiness and esteem is my priority. It's so much harder to fix a broken adult. Hats off to your Mom for listening to the teacher (taking in the info), then making the decision(s) to be your advocate for happiness.
    Peace and Love,
    Veronica Howard

    ReplyDelete